THE FRANCO BRITISH CHAMBER AND BREXIT
With more than 145 years of supporting companies on both sides of the Channel and participation in the development of Franco-British economic relations, the Franco-British Chamber has become an actor involved in communication and in the preparation of companies on the impact and consequences that Brexit may have on their activities.
Between 2016 and 2020 the Chamber organised more than 30 events to help all its member companies – regardless of their size – to understand the ins and outs of the decision by the British people and to prepare for the consequences of the UK’s exit from the EU.
In 2019, we organised the “Brexit Talks” in partnership with the DIT and the Paris Chamber of Commerce.
In 2020, we organised an event with Clément Beaune, Secretary of State in charge of European Affairs, during which he spoke on the future of the EU-UK relationship following Brexit. Please click on this link to find a video from that event.
Since June 2016, the Presidents and members of the Board of Directors of the Franco-British Chamber have regularly addressed the media, particularly during the key dates set between the British government and the European authorities
Our state of mind, our attitude has always been based on calm, determination, pragmatism and “positive thinking”. It is about maintaining the long-term relationship with the United Kingdom and not giving in to the temptation of humiliation.
A no deal = Everyone is losing.
« There is indeed a political, democratic Brexit, but also an economic Remain »
Thierry Drilhon, Président of theFranco-British Chamber
Some key figures between France and the United Kingdom:
- 200 years of friendship and economic exchange (entente cordiale)
- 92bn€ of trade in 2017, which was equalled in 2018
- more than 36 million people travel between the two by train, ferry or plane per year
Brexit is an opportunity: let’s reinvent our relationship during and after Brexit
- Bilateral economic and political ties are very strong and will remain so: Security, Defence, International Politics are very often aligned ;
- Our economies are interdependent ;
- France is the closest neighbour of the United Kingdom and the only one connected via the Channel Tunnel .
The Franco-British Chamber’s action is long-term
- We are the French correspondents of the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) which represents 190,000 British companies ;
- We are affiliated members of the Global Business Network of the British Chambers of Commerce Association ;
- We regularly participate in conferences of the Senate and major French institutions on the preparation and consequences of Brexit ;
- We have created the independent think tank “Cross-Channel Institute” to promote Franco-British economic relations in the long term through studies, analyses and debates, and to provide an innovative and sustainable vision to French and British companies, our members and institutions.
The Institute publishes relevant economic analyses and studies, including the Reference Barometer on Franco-British Economic Relations.