The Franco-British Chamber of Commerce
The Franco-British Chamber of Commerce and the British Irish Chamber of Commerce would like to share with you their latest paper – How to Make Brexit Work for All: Big Principles for a Strong Brexit Partnership.
This paper outlines the Chamber’s vision for a possible trade framework for the UK and the EU post-Brexit. It puts forward a solution that would see the UK form a customs arrangement with the EU.
The proposal for the UK and EU to form a new ‘Customs Arrangement’ would eliminate the need for a border on the island of Ireland and addresses concerns about border and customs checks at UK ports. It also best serves the interests of those trading in the UK, Ireland and the EU, while limiting the number of compromises required from the British Government or the EU.
Key objectives of the Big Principles for a Strong Brexit Partnership include:
- A trade relationship between the UK and the EU that is effectively borderless (including in Ireland and at UK ports) and free from tariff and non-tariff barriers and enabling trade in both goods and services;
- An alignment of the UK’s tariffs with the established Common External Tariff and continued regulatory alignment to both maintain standards and protect both the UK and the EU from an influx of cheaper, lower quality goods which would endanger citizen safety in manufacturing and food production;
- A solution to the island of Ireland border issue and protection of the Good Friday Agreement;
- Pursuit of new global trade deals that are mutually beneficial;
- Ability for the UK to set out its own migration policy;
- An alternative model to the CJEU for dispute settlement, just as in other EU trade deals.
8:30 am - 10:00 am